The vision of Lucknow Cantonment Board is to Provide to its citizens an environmental friendly and sustainable waste management system with complete safe disposal facilities by putting in place waste reduction and recovery mechanisms.
Solid waste management is an obligatory function of cantonment boards in India. This service is an important aspect of maintaining the quality of life and environment of a town or city, but unfortunately it is poorly performed resulting in problems of health, sanitation and environmental degradation. Inadequate financial resources, institutional weakness, improper choice of technology and public apathy towards solid waste management have made this service far from satisfactory.
Unless concerted efforts are made to improve the flow of resources to solid waste management and build up systems which incorporate the basic requirements of proper waste management, the problem of urban waste will be further aggravated and cause environmental health problems. The Lucknow Cantonment board is responsible for management of solid waste in the cantonment area.
The system of collection, transportation and disposal of garbage in the Lucknow Cantonment is partly manual and partly mechanized. The Board has 3 tippers which are used for collection of garbage from various cement-concrete/brick masonry bins located in the various part of the cantt. The garbage collected from these bins is carried to the trenching ground by tippers for mechanical unloading. The services being provided by the Board include road sweeping, drain cleaning, cleaning of group latrines, septic tanks, soak wells, urinals, removal of grass and dead animals, cattle impounding and cleaning of footpath etc.The Board also maintains one tractor and one multipurpose jetting machine for multifarious activities like cleaning of roads/streets and cleaning of chocked sewer lines and group latrines.
The Sanitation department function under the direct supervision of Sanitary Superintendent. His office is located at the main office of Cantonment Board. There are two Sanitary Inspectors for supervising duties of sanitation staff.
Lifting of Garbage
Garbage lifting by Cantonment has between planned in such a manner that /rubbish from all points is removed almost once in a week. Cantonment Board has identified a number of garbage points as main points where the garbage if lifted daily. The sanitation staff has instructions to remove garbage been provided either by colony residents or by Cantonment Board. The public is requested to ensure that new garbage points are not created in their localities unless it has the approval of Sanitary Inspectors of said Circle and a cemented garbage bin is provided.
In case the Garbage is not lifted within a week from any point any responsible citizen can report the matter to the office/Sanitary Inspectors or may send the written complaint to the Sanitary Superintendent.
The Complaints pertaining to the following matters may be made to the sanitary Inspectors concerned at the Office.
- Over-flow of drains.
- Removal of any dead dog/ animals.
- Un-authorized dumping of rubbish or debris.
- Removal of rubbish/garbage.
- Nuisance by stray Dogs.
- In case any complaints are not attended to within 24 hours. A written complaint maybe to the Sanitary Superintendent .Written complaints can also be put into the Samadhan Centre .
Responsibilities of Sanitation Department
- Sweeping Roads
- Garbage Lifting
- Cleaning & Opening Drainage nalas/ Open drains
- Public Toilets
- Anti Malaria Operation
- Issue & Trade Licenses
- Inspection of eating establishment
- Issue of DOG Licenses
- Inspection of Schools, Educational Institutions
- Lanes, roads, small drains, refuse bins, urinals, group latrines and dead cattle in civil area
- Collection of rubbish/garbage from the refuse bins in army area
- Cleaning of septic tanks of latrines in civil area
- Inspection of shops of merchants of food grains, vegetables, fruits selling eatable items country/foreign liquors and intoxication drugs, medicines and other trades in cants area.
- Catching of stray cattle
- Release of seized items/goods/vehicles belonging to unauthorized squatters.